The SIT4Energy Project
The goal of the SIT4Energy project is to demonstrate how integrated energy management for prosumer scenarios can be realized through a smart IT solution that considers both efficiency potentials in the local energy production and consumption. To this end, the project implements an intelligent mobile recommendation service with context-aware attention triggering, and a Smart Energy Management dashboard that exploit smart analytics to analyze consumption data, behavioural patterns and external context information (e.g. pricing, weather) for providing personalized insights and recommendations for optimizing energy production-consumption patterns. This includes a consumer-centered, user-friendly presentation of evidence-based results on the costs and benefits of ICT-enabled energy efficiency techniques, together with clear and on-time, engaging guidance and support on how to realize the energy savings available, so as to increase user adoption of such techniques and their effectiveness.
The developed prototype system and customer applications will be deployed and evaluated in real-world pilots in two different climatic regions, Greece and Germany. This will enable the transfer of developed solutions into new commercial offerings of the participating SMEs; a municipal utility company in Germany (SHF) and an innovative IT-service and software development company in Greece (ITML). The validation in pilots will thus serve as the preparation for the uptake of the developed solutions by the German utility (SHF) who will provide it as a service to their customers and as a marketing showcase for the commercial exploitation by the ITML. The research and university partners (CERTH, HOST) will exploit the results through scientific publications, development of new projects and transfer in teaching and consulting for the regional SMEs.
- Acquire the necessary insights and understanding of the interests, preferences and behavioural drivers of SIT4Energy users.
- Design prototype Business Models (BM) involving multiple actors within the EU single market.
- Engineer a consumer-empowerment framework (data transparency, usable interface design, behavioural engineering and social marketing techniques and tools) to trigger sustainable energy consumer/ prosumer practices
- Pre-validate and adapt accordingly the consumer-empowerment framework to match strategies for increased consumer engagement in sustainable energy
- Exploit micro-moments to implement individualized strategies for inducing and supporting behavioral change.
- Stimulate actual empowerment of consumers and increased understanding of sustainable energy and energy billing
- Implement context-based mobile recommendation services for energy end-users based on user micro-moments and other means of feedback to consumers.
- Develop adaptive incentivization and context-aware triggering service for increasing the uptake of the energy efficiency recommendations and behavioural change by the end-users
- Exploit and integrate consumption, context data and behavioural analytics to develop a smart visual analytics dashboard enabling integrated energy management that identifies and exploits energy efficiency potentials on both demand and supply side
Technological innovations will be reached through:
- Exploiting energy consumption data in order to develop energy consumption models and smart data analytics that highlight opportunities for consumers and businesses.
- Taking advantage of Open Data sources (e.g. territory-specific weather data) and social media technologies in order to support local area and community-based energy-saving demonstration projects, which will increase awareness of consumers for the benefits of energy savings.
- Adapting to the daily activities of citizens (micro-moments and habits). Based on long-term monitoring and analysis of citizens’ activities it would be possible to produce more accurate estimations of energy requirements but also shape customers’ habits, through well designed, engaging recommendations.
- Intelligent mobile service for context-aware attention triggering of residential prosumers allowing the recommendations to be delivered at the right point in time and in the right form for a given user type, based on their behavioural patterns and current context Smart Energy Management Dashboard providing an intuitive visual analytics tool enabling easy integrated management of energy consumption and production for residential prosumers and commercial producers
New business models will be developed through:
- Analyzing consumers’ energy behavior via smart metering and analytics techniques.
- Integrating social science-based consumer behavior knowledge into analysis and feedback to consumers.
- Developing innovative service models (e.g. energy on demand services with varying price, depending on request and offer).
- Developing marketing strategies that target the customers who are most responsive to change (uplift modeling).
Consumer empowerment solutions will be developed through:
- Delivering a conceptual framework for the systematic integration of important social and behavioral research findings on interventions targeting shifts on residential consumers’ behavior. The framework will include KPIs covering different factors (determinants) that influence user behaviors.
- Establishing three (3) pilot studies, two in Athens and Thessaloniki (Greece) and one in Hassfurt (Germany), with 500 users participating in them in order to demonstrate the innovation of the SIT4Energy outputs and evaluate the impact and exploitation potential.
- Developing consumer acceptance and action methodologies within case studies, to maximize the project’s impact in large-scale pilots.
- Providing customers with more details and guidance on HOW change can be achieved.